Sunday, June 28, 2009

Praying

I have been reading a book called "7 Prayers". In this book it talks about how prayer is not just about asking for things, though that is part of it, but basically just talking to God. It's getting closer and spending time with someone that you love. In Luke 1:37 "With God nothing is impossible". The more that you pray, the more that you will find to pray about, and the more you'll be led to pray for others. Without prayer, the full purpose that God has for you can't happen.
The first prayer that this book talks about, is the prayer of confession and repentance. When sin is left unconfessed, a wall goes up between you and God. This sin will drag you down.
"When I kept silent, my bones grew old
Through my groaning all the day long.
For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me;
My vitality was turned into the drought of summer.
I acknowledged my sin to You,
And my iniquity I have not hidden.
I said, I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,"
And you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Psalm 32 3-5
Often we fail to see ourselves as responsible for certain actions. You may feel justified in your anger or bitterness, but you must still confess it because it misses the mark of what God has for you. The weight of this sin will eventually crush you if not confessed. For confession to work, repentance must go along with it. Repentance means a change of mind. Being repentant doesn't necessarily mean you will never do it again, but it does mean that you don't intend to do it again. Ask God to bring to light sins that you are not aware of so they can be confessed, repented of, and forgiven. In Psalms 51:10 "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Confession is really a way of life. Sin leads to death; repentance leads to life. Always keep in mind that God's ways are for your benefit. Confession is not for him to find out something, God already knows. Confession is for you to be made whole. People who confess find mercy and God's unlimited power.
As I continue to read through this book, I will put on my blog, more things and prayers that I am learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment