Thursday, April 16, 2009

Five Questions to ask your Mom

I was reading in a magazine the other day and came across an article that I thought was very interesting. People always regret what they hadn't asked, never what they have. So with that in mind here are five questions that I wish I had asked my mom but I am going to answer these myself for my kids. Then they may have more questions they want to ask me but we will start with these:

1. What's the one thing you would have done differently as a mom?

I look back and realize that I really stressed over little things. I wish I had not been as strict as I was. I wish that I would have had a nightly routine of bible study and prayer with the kids. Back then, I felt like I didn't have time but I realize now how much time was wasted on TV and other things. I wish that I would have listened more. I know that my answer is covering more than one thing but its hard to limit it to one thing.


2. Which one of us kids did you actually like the best?

Over the years, each of the kids have said, you liked so and so the best. I can say honestly, that I have tried my best to like and love each of my kids equally. Shannon as my first is special because I got to practice on her. We were rarely apart. She only went one time to spend the night away when she was a baby and neither one of us got much sleep. I envisioned ballet lessons, gymnastics, cheerleading, bows and beautiful long hair. I got all of that! Tim, my son and second. Doesn't the word son, just melt your heart? I was ready for a boy and looking forward to all that meant. Baseball, soccer, football, basketball, and tennis. I was ready to get out in the back yard and practice any of that with him. And then there is Allie. My last, my surprise. I got another chance to hold a baby. That will always be special to me. We rocked and rocked and rocked and rocked. Which one of you kids did I actually like best? I hope I made each of you feel special. I tried.

3. What's the one thing that you would have done differently in your life?

I wish I would have realized there were ways for me to go to college and I would have gone. I would have tried to be more outgoing and not so shy. I would have lived my life more for Jesus.

4. What do you really think about stepchildren?

I think that a heart is big enough to include a lot of people. Growing up in a home with half brothers and sister, I never thought they weren't my real brothers and sister. They were and they are. That's the way I feel about my stepchildren. Jaime and Luke are part of my life, I didn't give birth to them, but to me that changes nothing. We have built memories together and I love them.

5. Is there anything that you always wanted to tell us but never could?

Always remember that tomorrow is a new day and the past is in the past. Don't hold grudges! They only hurt you. The other person probably doesn't even know that you are holding a grudge. Always treat your spouse like you want to be treated without expecting anything in return. Go to church, read your Bible. Remember those kids are looking at your life, what is it showing them? Hold your temper when disciplining a child. Sometimes its just a misunderstanding. Try to remember what you didn't like about how you were raised and then change that in how you raise your kids. Find someone that you admire in the way they are raising their kids and copy some of their ideas. Always remember that I love you with all my heart and I am glad that you are my kids.

Yes, I know I said 5 but I wanted to add another one.

6. If you could go back, would you marry Glenn?

There is no hesitation, no nothing, I would absolutely marry him again. Even knowing what all we would need to go through, trying to blend a family. He is all I need and want. We've had our ups and downs, but we are on the up side and loving life together.

1 comment: